Hamburger stroganoff! I haven’t made this for years but someone just wrote asking me where this recipe went so here it is! This is much easier on the food budget than stroganoff made with steak. My kids used to love this.
I would often make this without the mushrooms if I didn’t have any. Or I would use canned mushrooms, which I could keep in the pantry.
Serve over egg noodles or rice. Having written this up again I’m getting hungry.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 tbs. butter or oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 can cream soup mushroom or chicken or make your own
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream, optional
- Heat the oil or butter and sauté the onion, garlic and mushrooms until soft. Add the meat and brown, then drain of any extra fat.
- Add the soup, water, salt and pepper and heat through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream if you’re using it.
- Serve over rice or egg noodles.