If you’re like most of us, you’re somewhere in the conundrum of needing to save money, but not necessarily having as much time as many of the hardcore frugality books would suggest. However, I believe in taking a firm stance right in the middle of the road! Read what you can and follow those ideas that make sense to you in your lifestyle. Some new ideas will be easily worked in to your life. Other you can set aside, at least for now.
When I have time, I like to make up a few mixes to use when I don’t have time! My kids love nothing better than pancakes for breakfast. I often make a batch on the weekends and then just pop the leftovers into a freezer bag. They can pull them out as needed and toast them, for either breakfast or an after-school snack. I go back and forth on using the baking mix below. Sometimes I use the pancake recipe I included elsewhere. Other times, I use this.
Homemade Baking Mix
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk or buttermilk powder if you prefer
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
- Combine everything but the shortening and mix well with a wire whisk. Use a pastry blender or a heavy duty mixer to cut in the shortening until it is mixed in thoroughly.
- Store in airtight container. Use like any store bought baking mix to make pancakes, muffins, waffles, and biscuits.
- Use within 10-12 weeks.