I made these chicken fajitas the other night for dinner and they were so good! Quick and easy, too, which makes a great combination for a weeknight dinner.
I had a friend coming over so did all the prep ahead of time, letting the chicken and vegetables marinate a bit with the lime juice, smoked paprika and cumin, but you could skip that step and have dinner on the table in about 20 minutes if you wanted.
Jamie Oliver's Chicken Fajitas
- 2 bell peppers of whatever color you like seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 red onion peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- a pinch of ground cumin
- 2 limes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- flour tortillas
For the guacamole
- lime juice to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 avocado
- grated Mexican cheese
- sour cream
- Put the chicken, peppers and onion in a bowl and toss with the olive oil, juice of half a lime, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Let sit while you prep everything or refrigerate an hour or more if you've done this ahead of time.
- Make the guacamole. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the pit with a sharp knife, and scrape the avocado into a small bowl. Add the garlic salt and lime juice and then mash it all together with a fork until it's the consistency you like. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Heat your grill pan or wok or frying pan over high heat. Get the pan good and hot. The grill pan is not required but they do come out really good. I have one like this one on Amazon but if I was buying one today I might opt for one of the ones with the higher sides like this one. The first one you can flip over and cook pancakes or grilled cheese sandwiches on, which is pretty handy.
- Use tongs to put the meat and vegetables onto the grill pan, then use them to keep turning the chicken and vegetables. Cook about 6-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are cooked but still have some crunch to them. Squeeze another half a lime over the chicken and peppers and stir.
- Warm your tortillas in the microwave using a tortilla warmer or laid between paper towels or heat them in a dry cast iron skillet one at a time.
Let everyone build their own fajitas!
These are from Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals, one of my favorite cookbooks.
Leave a Reply