I didn’t grow up eating lamb, but good friends of mine have often cooked lamb when I’ve gone to their house and I’ve enjoyed it. And my girls’ friends who live next door like lamb, although they don’t like other meat much, so I said I’d try my hand at some.
I pulled out my favorite meat cookbook, The Complete Meat Cookbook, of course. And went with their “Barba Yianni’s Grilled Lamb” because anything with lemon juice, garlic, and oregano can’t be bad! Plus the yogurt sauce…
Barba Yianni's Grilled Lamb Chops
- 4 bone-in lamb chops
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 6 small or 4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 Tbs fresh mint optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and rub on the chops, then marinate at room temperature, covered, for up to 2 hours, or refrigerate overnight. (I did the room temp for 1 hour.)
- Stir the skordalia sauce ingredients together.
- Barbecue the lamb chops for 3-5 minutes per side. (The book says you can alternatively broil them 3-5 minutes per side.) They should be about 120 to 135 F at the thickest part.
- Let rest a few minutes, then serve with the sauce on the side.
Yum! From two first time lamb eaters and 1 first time lamb cooker. 😉0