I think I got this recipe from Jacques Pepin’s More Fast Food My Way. I left out the anchovy butter. A creative use for those canned crispy onions!
It made me think of how good they would be on or in other things.
- 2 small filets of white fish
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- half a 6-ounce can of French-fried onions
- 2 Tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges, to serve at the table
- Grind the French-fried onions up in a food processor until smooth.
- Beat the egg in a shallow dish or pie pan while you heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt, dip in the egg and then the onion crumbs. Fry about 2 minutes per side, until done. (The fish will flake apart with a fork easily.)
- Serve with lemon wedges and/or a bit of tartar sauce.