This is a great weeknight soup as it goes together fast, has lots of flavor and doesn’t make too much. Adding salsa to a soup is a great way to quickly add a lot of flavor. I like soup but many recipes just make too much for me. My sister shared this recipe with me a few years ago and reminded me of it the other day when we were visiting.
This is a great way to use a bit of sausage if you’ve used half a package for something else and have leftovers. We like kielbasa generally but it’s also good with beef sausage. Use whatever kind you like.
I make this even if I don’t have fresh cilantro but the fresh cilantro does add a lot.
Quick Sausage and Black Bean Soup
- 6 ounces cooked sausage (kielbasa, polish, chicken, etc. )
- 1 cup chopped red and green pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 15- oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Brown the sausage slices, then add the chopped peppers and cook a few minutes, until softened.
- Add the chicken broth, beans and salsa.
- Bring to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in the fresh cilantro and serve.