I used the roast garlic to make some Roasted Garlic and Potato Soup. The original recipe called for peeled and diced raw red potatoes but I used some leftover blue, yellow, and red potatoes instead. The color is, frankly, a bit off-putting but the flavor is fantastic! I’m thinking it would have been prettier without the blue ones.
Roast Garlic and Potato Soup
- 2 heads roast garlic
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and diced if raw
- 6 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Heat the oil and cook the onions until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Squeeze the roast garlic cloves from their skins into the pot and mash the heads with the back of a spoon. Add the potatoes and stir until coated with the oil.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer. If your potatoes are raw, simmer about 30 minutes until the potatoes are soft. If your potatoes are already cooked, like mine were, simmer 10 minutes or so to blend the flavors.
- Puree the soup with a hand immersion blender if you have one, or in batches in a regular blender if need be. Add the chives and serve.