I adapted this recipe for Rosti Casserole with Baked Eggs from Cooking Light to serve the two of us tonight. My sister had given me this cute little white baking dish and it was perfect! No turnips so just skipped that and used a Mexican blend of cheese as we are not overly fond of Swiss.
This went great with some fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden with a dash of olive oil and salt on them.
Two thumbs up from both of us!
Rosti Casserole with Baked Eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/2 cup grated Mexican blend cheese
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh chives saved some for garnish
- pinch of salt and pepper
- enough frozen shredded hash brown potatoes to layer in my dish 2 cups?
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- Pour the frozen shredded hash browns into a baking dish and just let them thaw there while you get everything else ready.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mix together the yogurt, flour, cheese, butter, chives, salt, pepper and nutmeg, then add the shredded potatoes and mix well.
- Wipe the baking dish out and spread some butter in it. (I’d rather use butter than cooking spray but you could use that instead.)
- Spread the potato mix into the dish and bake 30 minutes or so.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and push a spoon into them to make an indentation for the eggs. Crack them open and put one egg in each spot. Return to the oven and bake. Original recipe says 8 minutes but mine took 10-11 before the whites were set.
- Garnish with chives.