I love having soup in the fridge that I can have for lunch or as an add-on to dinner. At the grocery store this week I saw a big bag of cleaned and chopped kale and remembered that I still had some sausage in the freezer that should be cooked up pretty soon. Normally I would have made something like this with kielbasa but the Bratwurst worked out well too.
This is very thick between the kale and the rice, very filling and “complete dinner” like too! It caused me to use up the last of my homemade chicken broth. I seem to be going through it faster than I collect bones these days.
Sausage, Rice and Kale Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 6 ounces sausage, kielbasa or brattwurst or whatever sounds good
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh kale
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- Saute the sausage, onion, and garlic in the oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add everything else but the rice. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the rice and simmer another 20 or so, until the rice is cooked.
I thought this was good but I think it would be better with kielbasa, with the stronger flavor enhancing the soup.