I wanted a simple vegetable soup the other day to go with some grilled cheese sandwiches. It had turned cold here suddenly and soup seemed a good antidote. I pulled a quart of homemade chicken broth from the freezer, some pasta, an onion and a potato from the pantry, and some carrots and celery from the refrigerator. If I’d had different vegetables I might have added chard, spinach, turnips or whatever. But the vegetable bin was unexciting so just went with the carrots and celery.
I heated some oil in a pot while chopping the onion, celery and carrots, adding them to the pot as I went. I cooked them until softened, then added everything else and cooked at a low simmer until the vegetables and pasta were done, seasoned with a bit of parsley, salt and pepper and served with some grated Parmesan at the table.
Simple Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/2 cup small pasta
- grated Parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pot, then add the onion, celery and carrot. Cook a few minutes, stirring, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken broth, potato and pasta.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring now and then, until the vegetables are soft and the pasta is cooked through, probably 10-15 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with grated Parmesan at the table.
Perfect! We often think that each meal or event must have a new recipe. But a well stocked kitchen is always up to producing a good meal.