This is from Noodles Every Day: Delicious Asian Recipes from Ramen to Rice Sticks. It’s the first recipe I’ve tried from it and if the rest of the recipes are half as good as this one, it’s a real winner!
I, of course, made a few changes. First, I didn’t follow the base recipe for “Basic Asian Chicken Stock.” Instead, I took some turkey broth from Thanksgiving, added some water and chicken bases, then simmered with some sliced daikon, ginger, scallions, peppercorns, and fish sauce. I simmered it about half an hour since i was starting with stock. Her basic recipe started with chicken parts and simmered an hour. I was just trying to infuse some Asian flavor into my turkey/chicken broth. I also about halved the recipe.
Spicy Coconut Rice Noodles and Chicken Soup
- 4 cups chicken/turkey broth
- 2 2" slices of daikon, peeled
- 1 " fresh ginger, peeled and sliced and lightly crushed
- 3 scallions, trimmed and crushed lightly
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 squirt of lemongrass from a tube or 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and grated
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 Tbs Thai red/green curry paste
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs fish sauce
- 2-3 cups coconut milk
- 2-3 cups Asian chicken stock
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces rice noodles
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced thinly
- parboiled snow peas boiled for 1 or 2 minutes
- bean sprouts
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Simmer the broth ingredients for half an hour or so, then strain and reserve the broth. (If you're starting with 3-4 pounds of raw chicken, beef or pork bones, simmer for at least an hour.)
- Heat the oil in a soup pot and saute the garlic, shallot and lemongrass about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the curry paste and curry powder and stir, cooking another minute or so. Then add the sugar and fish sauce and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the coconut milk, broth and lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir and simmer, covered, about an hour.
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions.
- Add the chicken to the soup. Cook for 5 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked.
- Into each bowl, place some noodles. snow peas and bean sprouts. Pour the chicken pieces and broth over the noddles, then top with fresh cilantro and serve.