A friend passed along some older issues of Cooking Light magazine last weekend. I got fixed on using up some frozen shrimp I had so browsed through a few issues for some ideas. There were several that sounded quite good and I settled on this one. I made some steamed rice and snow peas to go with it. I just added the trimmed snow peas to the steamer basket of my rice cooker and served them plain.
The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 pounds of shrimp. I used what was left in the bag, maybe 1/2 a pound. The sauce was great though and the extra went well with the rice. Since I was only feeding two it worked out great.
Spicy Shrimp in Coconut Sauce
Coconut Milk Sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp chili garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbs diced green onion
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Combine the coconut milk with the other sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, then add the shrimp and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the green onions and red pepper and cook another minute.
- Add the coconut milk mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the shrimp turn pink, about 1 more minute.
- Serve over steamed rice.