I’m on a taco roll. The spicy shrimp tacos were so good that I wanted to try the steak tacos with lime mayo. (The current issue of Cooking Light is full of tacos! –affiliate link so I’ll make a small bit of change if you buy from Amazon after clicking) I don’t know if I’ll make my way through all ten recipes but these first two are definitely repeats.
Tacos work well when you need a phased dinner I think. My daughter often needs a late dinner after night classes and she can just reheat the main ingredient, heat up some corn tortillas and have a good dinner. The leftover shrimp were great the next day for lunch too. I just barely reheated them so they wouldn’t get overcooked.
Last night I pulled a small steak from the freezer and thawed in a sink of warm water. (It was vacuum packed.) Rather than mix up the spice mix I just sprinkled each ingredient on the steak separately: paprika, ground chipotle pepper and salt. The Cooking Light recipe called for roasting baby peppers but I just cooked up sliced red and green peppers with some onions and garlic salt, which I’ve been using to make burritos or an Italian-like side dish for years. I did follow their recipe for the lime mayo dressing, which was nice.
Steak Tacos with Lime Mayo
For the steak
- 1 steak
- 1 tsp ground chipotle pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika to taste
- salt to taste
Peppers and Onions
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 an onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs oil
- salt or garlic salt to taste
For the lime mayo
- 3 Tbs mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1 clove garlic
And the rest
- corn tortillas
- grated cheese
- sliced lettuce
- chopped avocado or avocado tomato salsa or plain salsa
- Season the steak with the chipotle pepper, paprika and salt and set aside until you’re about 15 minutes from wanting to eat. Preheat the grill.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the sliced onions and peppers. You can cook these to your taste, either lightly and leave the peppers with a bit of crunch to them or longer. I like to cook them about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring, then turn the heat off or way down low and just before serving. Then I turn the heat up and get them hot again just before serving.
- Mix up the lime mayo while the peppers are cooking and get all the condiments (lettuce, cheese, salsa) ready.
- Grill the steak until done to your liking and let rest 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- I like to serve everything in small bowls and let people build their own tacos to taste, so I heat the corn tortillas in a cast iron skillet and serve them with everything at the table. You can cover them with a towel to keep warm.
[…] something was so good I couldn’t wait to make it again! That’s how it was with the steak tacos I posted about earlier. I’d mentioned them to my sister who told me she’d made them […]