I never make taco meat just to have a taco salad but it sure is a great way to use up the leftovers a day or so after having tacos. I like to use a little Catalina salad dressing on mine for a Catalina Taco Salad. It just adds a nice sweet touch. My kids leave theirs plain, without dressing. Much healthier, I’m sure.
- leftover taco meat
- homemade salsa if it’s summer or bottled if not
- chopped lettuce
- grated Cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend
- refried beans or black beans or whole pinto beans
- sliced olives if you’d like
- chopped avocado if you have some
- chopped fresh tomato
- chopped green onions or yellow onions
- tortilla chips or broke up leftover taco shells
If you’ve got a vegetarian in the family, this is a great dish because you can serve everything in small bowls and let everyone build their own taco salad, with or without meat. You could also substitute leftover cooked chicken for the ground beef. It’s very flexible.