If you eat oranges, save a few peels to make these candied orange peels!
I’m lucky enough to have an orange tree in the yard and this is their season so we’re enjoying fresh oranges, orange juice and this treat my daughter whipped up today: candied orange peels. I got this recipe from The Complete Tightwad Gazette back before there were books when I subscribed to the newsletter. This book is a great deal if you’re looking to pinch a few dollars out of your budget.
You can also make candied lemon peels and grapefruit peels.
Candied Orange Peels
- peels from 3 – 5 large oranges
- 3/4 cup water plus water to simmer the orange peels in
- 2 Tbs. corn syrup
- 2 3/4 cup sugar divided
- Cut peels into 1/4″ strips. Boil in enough water to cover for 15 minutes and then drain.
- Boil the corn syrup, water, and 2 cups of the sugar and stir till sugar is dissolved. Add the orange peels and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Put cookie racks on wax paper. Drain the orange peels. Put the peels onto the racks and drain 5 minutes.
- Separate the peels and leave on the racks another hour.
- Place the rest of the sugar in a paper or plastic bag, add the orange peels and shake to coat.