I was looking for a simple side dish to go with the Pacific Lime Chicken Thighs I made last night and saw this zucchini salad in POLPO: A Venetian Cookbook (Of Sorts) (affiliate link). There are lots of simple recipes in this cookbook, as well as some fancy ones for fish I’m never likely to cook (octopus anyone?). But there are plenty of recipes I will make over and over I think.
This is an expensive cookbook so I almost didn’t link to it but let me tell you, it’s a beautiful book as well as being filled with good recipes. It’s bound so that it lays flat when you open it, making it much easier to cook from! And there are gorgeous photos and interesting introductions to each chapter talking about Venice. And it’s purely a coincidence that the two recipes I’ve made so far both involved zucchini. There are plenty of other ingredients used in here.
This is a simple salad of thinly sliced raw zucchini with a lemon Parmesan dressing and fresh basil. You are supposed to have rocket (arugula) in it also but I didn’t have any.
Zucchini with Lemon Parmesan Dressing
- juice of 1 lemon about 3 Tablespoons
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 heaping Tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 zucchini
- 1 large handful rocket arugula leaves
- 1 small handful basil leaves
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, Parmesan, salt and pepper together for the dressing. I like to use a small jar so I can just shake dressing to mix it. Leftovers can easily go in the fridge that way.
- Thinly slice the zucchini at an angle or use a mandoline.
- Put the zucchini, arugula and basil in a small bowl and mix just enough of the dressing in to coat thinly and serve.
Edited to add that I’ve made this simple recipe so many times! It’s become a summer staple around here.
Leave a Reply