When I have people over to eat, I try to get as much done ahead of time as possible. This is easier in the summer when you can make salads like this Arugula, Radish and Carrot Salad a bit ahead of time. I usually prepare the vegetables but don’t put the dressing on until I’m serving. If there’s a dressing to mix up, you can mix that up ahead of time in a small jar and pour on just before you take it to the table.
So the other night when I was having 7 for dinner, I made a few salads ahead of time, including this one with arugula, carrots and radishes all from the garden. In this case, the dressing is just olive oil and lemon juice so I just squeezed some lemon juice grated the Parmesan ahead of time.
Salads like this don’t really need measurements as so much depends on how you like things.
- carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- radishes, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- grated Parmesan
Basically, layer the vegetables on a platter. Drizzle with olive oil, then squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Finally, add a bit of grated Parmesan on top of it all.
This came from Verdura: Vegetables Italian Style by Viana La Place (Amazon affiliate link). I’ve gotten so many good recipes from this book. The Russian Salad with beets and potatoes from the same book has become my youngest’s favorite and can also be made ahead. I’m rarely left with leftovers but if there are any, she happily takes them home.
The book is available used on Amazon for $2 plus shipping. I bought my copy used for about the same amount.
Arugula and Radish Salad
- 1 – 2 cups arugula leaves
- a few radishes trimmed and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 Tbs or so of olive oil toss until everything has a light coat
- salt and pepper to taste
- vinegar or lemon juice to taste toss and taste
- Pick the arugula leaves off. Slice up the radishes and add to the arugula. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and either lemon juice or vinegar.