Here’s another easy Ranch dressing to go this BLT Chicken Salad. In fact, I didn’t have buttermilk so I created a substitute with 1 teaspoon of vinegar in 1/3 cup milk. Just stir it in and let it sit for 5 minutes or so and you’ll have some slightly curdled buttermilk-like base for dressings. You can also use lemon juice.
I used some leftover roasted chicken thighs and one of the first tomatoes from my garden in this salad. I love this time of year when I can partially decide what’s for dinner by strolling through the vegetable garden. If you wanted a lighter salad, you could leave out the chicken. With the chicken it makes a great light meal. Thanks to Raising the Salad Bar: Beyond Leafy Greens–Inventive Salads with Beans, Whole Grains, Pasta, Chicken, and More for this one. (That’s an affiliate link so I’ll make a few cents if you buy something from Amazon after clicking it.) Lots of good salad recipes in that book.
BLT Chicken Salad
For the Salad
- 1 small head Romaine lettuce, rinsed and chopped
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
For the Ranch Dressing
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar left to sit for 5 minutes)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 Tbs fresh chopped chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you're making the buttermilk substitute, stir the milk and lemon juice together and let sit.
- Cook the bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Fix all the salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Serve the dressing on the side so folks can add as much or as little as they'd like.