I was rereading The Shell Seekers (affiliate link), a lovely book, and they kept serving cauliflower cheese during the war. It made me want to try some. When I looked it up, it seems it is basically cooked cauliflower with a cheese sauce on top, sounded both easy and good.
And I had a cauliflower sitting in the fridge. This is a mild dish, an easy way to expand your kids vegetable adventures perhaps. I served it with grilled chicken breasts, grilled leeks (a recipe that needs some work) and crash hot potatoes.
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup or more grated Cheddar cheese
- Steam the cauliflower until barely done. If you don't have a steamer basket, I would microwave in a covered dish with a small bit of water.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Put the cauliflower into a small buttered baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and then stir in the flour. Cook over medium-low heat 2 minutes.
- Heat the milk in a microwave during the two minutes if you'd like. It makes it easier to blend.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the butter and flour, then bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer a few minutes, stirring, until it has thickened.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower.
- Top with a bit more grated cheese if you'd like.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
Updated to add that this has become one of our family favorites!
[…] like this cauliflower cheese so much I decided to try Jamie Oliver’s cauliflower cheese soup to go with our sandwiches last […]