Have a whole chicken and need to make it last? Here are some ideas. I substitute chicken and turkey freely in the recipes below.
1. Roast the chicken in your favorite manner. Serve with plenty of side dishes to ensure that there is leftover chicken. To be sure, set aside the portion you want to keep.
2. Make a chicken casserole dish with some of the leftover chicken.
3. Chop up the rest of the cooked chicken. Depending on how much is left, use it for chicken salad sandwiches
4. Take the chicken carcass and make chicken broth. Use that to make soup of some variety, with or without leftover cooked chicken. This chicken and corn chowder is delicious if you have any leftover chicken! If not, make this carrot and pasta soup.
Other Ideas for Leftover Chicken
- leftover cooked chicken, skin removed
- green salsa
- taco seasoning
- refried beans
- chopped tomatoes
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- flour tortillas
Take leftover chicken and heat it with half a jar or more of green salsa and a bit of taco seasoning. I had bought a mix in a jar from Costco and it is nice for quick stuff like this, although I prefer to just mix up my own and probably won’t buy it again. If you don’t have a mix, sprinkle on a bit of chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Add some water if you’re salsa is more chunky than liquid so you can simmer the chicken. Pull it apart with two forks once it’s warmed and let it simmer in the sauce while you grate some cheese, heat up some beans and tortillas, and get the table set.
Chicken King Ranch Casserole
- 1 leftover chicken breast, skin removed, chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped onion
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 can of cream of something soup (or make your own of course!)
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 6-9 corn tortillas, torn into pieces
Saute the onion in a bit of oil until soft, 5 minutes or so. Stir in the can of soup, the chicken, the tomatoes and chilies (or a can of Rotel tomatoes). Stir and heat through.
In a 9×9 pan, lay 1/3 of the torn tortillas, spoon 1/3 of the chicken mix over the top, and sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat two more layers: tortillas, chicken mix, cheese. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
You can freeze this after mixing and before baking, but the corn tortillas get a bit mushy. We don’t mind them that way but others might.
More Ideas for Leftover Chicken or Turkey
Leave a Reply