In the past, the fondue recipes I’ve used with wine in them and too much Swiss cheese have not tasted good to the kids, although I enjoyed them. I found that substituting chicken broth for the wine works great. I also used 1/2 Swiss cheese and 1/2 Colby for a milder taste. Cheddar would work well too but Colby was what I had the night I made this. We like to dunk cubed bread, little sausages, cherry tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, etc.
I have an electric fondue pot so made mine right in the pot but you could easily make it in a pan on the stove and then serve in a regular Sterno-heated fondue pot.
Serve with whatever sounds good to dunk in melted cheese. We like cubed French bread, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, pepper strips, small sausages, and apples.
Kid Friendly Fondue
- 3 Tbs butter
- 3 Tbs flour
- a dash of cayenne
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk or half and half
- 1 tsp dried minced onion optional
- 4 ounces diced Colby cheese
- 4 ounces diced Swiss cheese
- Melt the butter and blend in the flour and cayenne. Slowly add the broth, stirring to ensure a smooth sauce. Add the milk and heat to just below a simmer. Add the minced onion if you’d like. Add the cheese and stir until melted.