I have a stained recipe card from my grandmother containing her version of Broccoli Divan (Chicken and Broccoli Casserole), with cubed chicken, frozen broccoli, and a potato chip topping.
This one is so much better! It uses sauteed chicken breasts rather than cooked diced chicken but if you have some cooked chicken to use up, just adapt. I like fresh broccoli better than frozen but will use frozen.
The bread crumbs with some grated Cheddar or Colby cheese on top, rather than the crushed potato chips, tastes great. It did still call for the ubiquitous cream of chicken soup, for which you easily substitute your own homemade version.
Broccoli Divan (Chicken and Broccoli Casserole)
- 1 Tbs oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or a couple of cups of leftover cooked chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh broccoli
- 1 14 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Colby or Cheddar cheese
- a few dabs of butter or butter spray
- Heat the oil. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and saute until done, turning in the pan to cook evenly. Cut each breast into half or thirds.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then drain.
- Spray or oil a 9x9 pan, add the broccoli, then add the cooked chicken pieces on top.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soup, milk, mayonnaise, curry powder, lemon juice, and pepper. Spread over the chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle the cheese on top, then sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of that. Spray the crumbs with butter spray or dab a few bits of butter on top.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.