I made some chicken curry with Pataks Mild Curry Paste (affiliate link) tonight. You use about half a jar for a huge amount of curry. I’ve followed the same basic recipe with various curry pastes and each one is slightly different but very good! I got the recipe from Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals
Chicken Curry with Patak’s Mild Curry Paste
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 2 onions peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 chili seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 bunch of cilantro leaves and stems separated, stems diced
- 1/2 cup mild curry paste
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 2 Tbs flaked coconut
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- chutney optional
- Prep all the ingredients first so you can just add them to the pan as needed.
- Heat the oil and butter over medium high heat in a large skillet with a lid. Add the onions, cilantro stems and ginger–and chili if using. I often leave this out. Cook 10 minutes or so, stirring frequently.
- Add the curry paste, chicken, coconut milk, coconut, diced tomatoes and garbanzo beans. Fill the coconut milk can halfway with water and add that to the pan. Cover, bring to a simmer, stir, recover and cook 30 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Make your rice. Dish up the yogurt and chutney in small dishes for the table.
- Sprinkle the fresh cilantro leaves over the curry.
- Serve curry over rice with yogurt and chutney at the table.
Tonight I made this with a cilantro lime rice, basically mixing in lime zest, lime juice and chopped cilantro leaves into cooked rice. It also goes well with plain rice.