I was alone for dinner last night and got a craving for a Chinese Chicken Salad. Scoured some cookbooks and couldn’t find anything that sounded right, though. The dressing was the crucial part for me and all I could find was one that had mayonnaise in it! Not at all what I think of for Chinese chicken salad, but I decided to play with it a bit, leaving out the mayo. When I went to get the sesame oil I noticed a recipe for Chinese Salad Dressing right on the bottle and it sounded like what I wanted!
Mmmm! A bit spicy, perhaps, but very much what I had in mind.
Chinese Chicken Salad
- 3 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 Tbs rice vinegar
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1.5 Tbs mustard powder
- 1 Tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- green onion
- Mix up the dressing and set aside.
- Cut up some lettuce, dice some cucumber, slice a green onion and grate some carrot for the salad. Tosslightly with the dressing.
- Take a boneless, skinless chicken breast and put salt and pepper on it, while you heat up some peanut oil in a frying pan. Mix the breadcrumbs with cumin powder and chili powder, then press them into the chicken breast.
- Fry the chicken in the peanut oil over medium heat for a few minutes, then turn it and cook another few minutes. Sliced it into strips and put on top of the salad.