The days suddenly turned from spring-like to rainy and windy again, as they do so often after a first little false-spring weather that tricked all the daffodils into coming up! The blossoms are all out on my fruit trees and do look beautiful against the contrasting dark grey skies! But we went from barbecues and potato salad back to soups and stew weather!
I combined a few recipes last night to make this delicious soup. My eldest called it a 3-star favorite! Sometimes I add chopped celery along with the broccoli.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- a splash of olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 10 oz packages of frozen chopped broccoli or equivalent fresh chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup of oatmeal
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup half and half
- Heat the oil in soup pot and saute the onion until translucent. Add chicken broth, water and broccoli.
- Stir in the oatmeal, nutmeg, cayenne and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook about 15 minutes.
- Blend the soup with a handheld immersion blender.
- Add the half and half and let it warm up, then serve.