I am on a “pantry challenge” of sorts, trying to use up most of what I’ve stocked up on previously. January is always a welcome month to cut back on the spending and I’m well-stocked with food, plus have oranges and lemons on the trees and a few leeks left in the garden. I had 3 cod filets in the freezer that I’d picked up at Costco a while back so I made this easy fruity white fish.
Desperation Dinners is one of those cookbooks I refer to over and over again. In fact, I’d loaned it to a friend tonight but when I saw those cod filets in the freezer, I remembered their easy fish recipe we’d all liked so I had to call her up!
Easy Fruity White Fish
- 3-4 white fish filets I used cod
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 an orange
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- bread crumbs--I used Panko Japanese style bread crumbs
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and stir in the juices and Worcestershire.
- Put the fish in a baking dish, skin side down if you are using something with skin. Pour the butter and fruit juice sauce over them, then sprinkle bread crumbs over each piece of fish.
- Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes, till flaky.
I served the fish with steamed broccoli and baked potatoes, although the kids naturally did the low-carb thing, filling up on fish and then grudgingly eating some broccoli. No matter. I’ll chop up the leftover baked potatoes and fry them into hashbrowns tomorrow morning for breakfast.
I buy a big bag of frozen cod fillets at Costco. I have been looking for a recipe to use. Thanks so much for this one.