I found this recipe in Penzey’s spice catalog and thought it would be great for the barbecue I had planned for Saturday. When I have people over, I like to do as much ahead of time as possible and in this case I planned on making a few salads and then barbecuing a tri-tip when we were ready to eat. This corn salad was great. I might add a bit more to it next time, maybe some chopped scallions and red pepper for a bit more color. But it’s good as it is too!
Fresh Corn Salad
- 5 ears ears corn
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Bring a pot of water to boil while you husk the corn and remove as much of the silk as possible. Cut the kernels off the ears of corn. I like to do this in a wide bowl. Hold the ear of corn vertically in the bowl and use the knife to cut down top to bottom, cutting a few rows of kernels at a time, so the kernels fall into the bowl.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the corn. Bring the water back to a boil, which will take a few minutes, remove the pan from the heat and drain the corn in a colander. Run cold water off the corn to stop the kernels from cooking anymore.
- Add the corn and everything else but the basil and stir together. Refrigerate a half an hour or longer before serving. Just before serving toss in the basil.
Other good barbecue side dishes include:
- Quick pickled radishes
- Cucumber salad with sour cream
- Grilled corn on the cob
- Cucumber and bean sprout salad
- Cabbage, corn and red pepper salad
- Coleslaw with red and green peppers
- Bean salad with corn and lime dressing
- Bean and rice salad
- Beets with Yogurt Dressing
- Four Bean Casserole
I served this with:
- barbecued tri tip
- barbecued asparagus
- rice salad
- cucumber salad