I’ve been trying to find some ways to get more of a variety of vegetables into our diet. I know frying isn’t healthy, but if the oil is hot enough, the food doesn’t absorb too much. And the kids loved this!
This was from an old Italian cookbook. I used half a cauliflower because I wasn’t sure whether anyone would eat it. We had 2 adults and 3 kids for dinner last night and there was not one piece left by the end.
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup of so of flour for dredging
- 1/4 cup or so of bread crumbs
- Take the cauliflower and trim it into pieces with 1″ stems. Boil in salted water for 5 minutes and then drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, just a thin layer really, less than 1/2″ deep.
- Use pie pans or small plates or bowls and line up the flour, the egg, and the bread crumbs. Using a couple of forks to handle the cauliflower keeps your fingers from getting too messy! Dredge the cauliflower pieces in flour, then the beaten egg, then bread crumbs. Then set gently in the hot oil, letting the breading brown before turning. When all sides are browned, lift the pieces out and lay on brown paper or paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
- Salt and pepper the pieces and serve.