I cooked up some Ranchero Sauce, roughly following a recipe in The Well-Filled Tortilla Cookbook. It was wonderful to go pick the tomatoes and chilies for this! It would go well on all kinds of things but was absolutely delicious on the eggs. I also stirred some into the black beans.
- 1-2 jalapeno's or other small chiles minced
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Bring all this to a simmer over medium heat, stirring periodically. Cook 12-15 minutes, until the onions are cooked through. .
- Take half out and puree it in a food processor or food mill or just used the back of a wooden spoon and mush it up as it cooks.
As it was cooking, I fried up a couple of tortillas and heated a can of black beans. I didn’t drain the beans but let the liquid cook off. I added a healthy spoonful of the ranchero sauce to the beans too. Once it’s all ready, cook the egg however you like–fried, for me.
Put a crispy tortilla on the plate and top with some beans, the egg, some grated cheese, the sauce and a dollop of sour cream. Oh, and some canned sliced jalapenos if you like. Mmm…