I made a quiche last night that came out wonderfully. You can bake this in a large pie pan or a quiche pan, which I find I use quite a lot. I have a white Corningware quiche pan (affiliate link) like the one below.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 pound of butter
- 1 egg yolk reserve the white
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 onions
- 3 eggs plus the leftover egg white
- 2 cups milk
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of grated cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Stir together the flour, salt, and butter until crumbly in a mixer or food processor. Add the egg yolk and ice waterand blend until it balls up. Break off pieces and press it into your pie pan or quiche dish. Prick with a fork a few times and bake at 350 for 5 minutes to partially bake it.
- Slice the onions and sautee them in the butter until soft. Set aside.
- Mix together the leftover egg white and 3 eggs, milk, nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Put the onions in the pie shell, sprinkled the cheese over them and pour the custard mix in it.
- Baked at 450 for 15 minutes, then at 350 for 30 more.