Everyone seems to be touting the health benefits of kale. I’ve used it in soups before but I think that’s about it. I decided to try a raw kale salad after a friend mentioned how good it was and went looking for something simple and easy. This one from Dr. Weil is about as easy as it gets I think! I simplified it even more by leaving out the shaved Parmesan as it tasted good to me without it. The simple vinaigrette goes together quickly. I wish I had some leftover as it’s supposed to be even better the next day but two of us ate this all up last night.
If you happen to have a pomegranate around, add some to the salad. They’re fantastic!
Raw Kale Salad from Dr. Weil
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves cut into 1/4" shreds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for shavings
- 1 Tbs toasted breadcrumbs (regular or Panko)
- Wash and slice up the kale.
- In a salad bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper and salt.
- Add the kale to the bowl and toss together.
- Let the salad sit at room temperature for 30 minutes while you fix the rest of your dinner.
- Toss in the grated cheese and breadcrumbs just before serving.