The other day I made breaded and fried cauliflower. I made a great Sausage, Spinach, White Bean and Cauliflower Soup with the leftover cauliflower. I used Pam Anderson’s formula from How to Cook Without a Book, an easy set of ratios to remember with an onion, a pound each of chopped vegetables and meat, starch of your choice (potatoes, beans, noodles or rice), a quart of chicken broth and herbs.
Sausage, Spinach, Bean and Cauliflower Soup
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 pound of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 pound chicken apple sausage, cut into slices
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a soup pot while chopping the onion. Add the onion and saute a few minutes, until softened, stirring regularly.
- Add the spinach, cauliflower, sausage, beans and broth. Bring to a simmer, partially cover the pan, and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
This made a great dinner along with some fresh bread.