Broiled Shepherd's Pie
- 1/2 an onion diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbs ketchup
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas partially thawed
- 1 tsp beef bouillon
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3-4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Start cooking 3-4 potatoes in water, depending on much mashed potato you want.
- Heat the oil and cook the onion a few minutes, then add the ground beef, stirring to break up. Add the garlic. Cook until the beef is crumbly and browned (no pink left).
- Stir in the ketchup and Worcestershire. Stir in the peas.
- Combine the bouillon and water, then stir in the cornstarch. Pour this into the ground beef and simmer a few minutes. Turn the heat down and stir in the sour cream.
- The potatoes should be nearly done, so drain and mash them (or put them through the ricer), then stir in butter and milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- If your skillet can go under the broiler spread the potatoes on top of the meat and sprinkle the cheese on top, then broil a few minutes.
- You can also spread the meat in a 9x9 baking dish, spread the potatoes on top, top with the cheese, and then bake or broil.