We often make burritos as a way of repurposing leftover meat and/or beans. And they’re good. But I saw this recipe for Barbecued Chicken and Black Bean Burritos in Cheap. Fast. Good! and thought they’d be a nice change from our usual burritos. I had cooked black beans in the freezer so thawed them enough to scoop out the cup I needed and put the rest back in the freezer for later. I used the plain chicken I’d cooked up the other day.
These were sweet but not overpoweringly so. I’d tried a recipe before for sweet potato and black bean burritos and they were way too sweet for our taste. In these, the black beans were a bit sweet to begin with and the barbecue sauce added a nice complexity without making the burritos cloyingly sweet.
You could of course make this with raw chicken. Just dice it and then saute it a bit to cook it before adding the onions and garlic.
Barbecued Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 -2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar or "Mexican blend" grated cheese
- flour tortillas
- Heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the black beans, barbecue sauce, and cooked chicken and heat thoroughly, stirring periodically. Sprinkle the cheese across the top and let it melt while you heat up the tortillas.
- Spoon 1/2 cup or so of the bean and chicken mix onto a tortilla and roll up. Repeat 3 more times.
You could add sour cream if you’d like, but we left it out and it was plenty rich tasting.