Dinner tonight was chicken curry with chickpeas and tomatoes. Sort of a mashup of several different recipes, but relying on a curry paste from Patak as the base. I used to have a local source of these but now even my local Indian grocery stores don’t seem to carry them. And I don’t like the ones they do carry as much! 🙁 So at this point I can try to make my own or save up and buy a few jars off Amazon. Here’s a selection of Patak’s Curry Pastes (affiliate link so I’ll make a small percentage if you buy after clicking the link).
Chicken Curry with Tomatoes
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 thumb-sized knob of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, stems separated
- 1/2 cup Patak's curry paste of your choice
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into smallish pieces
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 15-oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 can of water to rinse out one of the cans above
- grated coconut
- lemon slices
- plain yogurt
- Heat the oil and butter over medium high heat in a large skillet that has a lid. Add the onions, ginger and cilantro. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often so the onions don't burn.
- Add the curry paste, chicken, beans, tomatoes, coconut milk and water.
- Bring to a boil, stir well, then cover and lower the heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice, chutney, yogurt, lemon slices, etc.
You can use different curry pastes here, as suit your tastes. I’ve used mild curry paste, vindaloo and korma. All different. And all good!