I made this for my dad’s 84th birthday as a side dish for those of us eating salmon and a main dish for those of us not. It comes from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food
Everyone loved it, vegetarians and meat eaters. I should have doubled the recipe I think as there was not a spoonful left over! So I’ll blame that as the reason I went and grabbed a Subway veggie sandwich at lunch. No good leftovers!
Lentil and Potato Curry
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 3 1/2 cups liquid (coconut milk, water, vegetable broth, chicken broth) I used 1 can of coconut milk topped with 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- 2-3 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbs butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain yogurt and fresh cilantro
- Rinse the lentils. Heat the lentils, liquid of choice, and curry powder to a simmer, stir, cover partially and cook 15 minutes. Stir now and then.
- Add the cubed potatoes and butter and stir in, then cover the pan completely and cook 10 minutes or so, depending on how large the potato cubes are. If the lentils start to look too dry, add some more water. You don't want them soupy but they should be moist.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cook another 10 minutes or so. Serve with yogurt and cilantro.