This recipe for Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes, Onions and Cheese is such a flexible “recipe” — I love it! All you REALLY need are fresh tomatoes and some kind of cheese and pasta. My original inspiration from this came from Don’t Eat Your Heart Out Cookbook. (That’s an affiliate link. I’ll make a small bit of money if you buy it from Amazon after clicking.) I see this is out of print now. I first bought it when my dad had some heart issues and I’ve found many good recipes in it, although I don’t follow all of his guidelines about canola oil, etc. I use olive oil for a dish like this.
Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes, Onions and Cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 to 1 onion diced, depending on how much you like onion--or leave it out!
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound mozzarella cubed or shredded Cheddar cheese
- basil to taste chopped (start with 3/4 cup or so)
- salt to taste
- 1 pound fettuccine sea shell, or other pasta
- Put the olive oil, tomatoes, onion, mozzarella, basil, and salt in a bowl and mix together. Let stand at room temperature an hour or so.
- Cook the pasta and drain, then stir into the tomato mixture.
- Variation: Use cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella. Add some chopped parsley and crushed red pepper. Omit the pasta, cut down on the cheese, and serve it as a tomato salad on the side!