I was looking for some new vegetable side dishes and saw these stir-fried bean sprouts in the local paper. It says “serves 4 as a side dish” but I would say it’s more like 6–or we just don’t eat a lot of sprouts! This is mild enough for kids if they’re adventurous. My kids like to munch on raw sprouts. One liked them cooked; the other wasn’t so crazy about them but ate them. I thought they were great and go well with other Chinese style dishes, like stir fried beef or stir fried chicken and mushrooms.
Stir Fried Bean Sprouts
- 1-2 Tbs peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pound mung bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Heat the peanut oil over medium heat in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the garlic and salt and cook 10-20 seconds, stirring.
- Add the bean sprouts and cook another 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the sherry and cook another 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the sugar and sesame oil and cook another 2 minutes or so, stirring. The sprouts should be slightly wilted, but still crunchy.
The original recipe came from Simple Chinese Cooking by Kylie Kwong.
Leave a Reply