I made some more great Indian curries the other night. The Patak curry pastes and cooking sauces are great! I used the Pataks Biryani Paste with this curry last night. Basic genesis of the recipe comes from Jamie’s Food Revolution: Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals, one of my favorite new cookbooks. The chicken curry is pictured to the left here.
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh green chili (I used a red one)
- a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, minced
- a small bunch of cilantro
- 1 15-oz can of garbanzo beans, drained
- 1-2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1-2 Tbs butter
- 1/2 cup Pataks Biryani Paste
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- plain yogurt at the table
- 1 lemon
Separate the cilantro stems from the leaves and mince the stems up. Chop the leaves and set aside for garnish.
Heat the oil and butter in a skillet. Add the onions, chili, ginger and cilantro stalks and cook for 10 minutes or so, stirring often, until golden and softened.
Add the curry paste, coconut milk, garbanzo beans and chicken. Stir well to coat everything, then add a 1/2 can of water and stir. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cover and simmer 30 minutes or so. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Squeeze some lemon juice on top, sprinkle the fresh cilantro leaves on top and serve with rice. Have a dish of plain yogurt on the table and some lemon wedges.7