I’m not sure where the name comes from but you’ll find variations of this all over the place. You can use canned cream of whatever soup or make your own homemade cream soup replacement. If you can’t find Rotel brand tomatoes, use a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of diced green chiles.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 1/2 or so diced onion
- 1/2 cup or diced green peppers optional
- 2 cans cream of whatever soup good with a combo of mushroom and chicken, make your own to be really frugal!
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 2 cups or so diced cooked chicken
- 12 corn tortillas, cut or torn into pieces
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Saute the onion and peppers until soft. Stir in the soups, tomatoes, and chicken.
- In a 9×13 baking pan, lay 1/3 of the tortilla pieces. 1/3 of the chicken and soup mixture on top and top with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat the layers 2 more times (tortillas, chicken, cheese).
- If you want you can freeze this now. I like to make two 9×9 pans and freeze one for another night.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. (If you froze it, thaw and bake a bit longer.)