This slaw with red cabbage, carrots and red peppers has a nice lemon ginger dressing. You could also use a regular vinaigrette or even mayonnaise-based coleslaw dressing. It went great with a grilled flank steak and grilled vegetables, offering a nice crunch and beautiful colors. The original recipe had sliced snow peas as well (blanched for 1 minute before slicing thinly) but I didn’t have any so left them out.
The recipe is from Raising the Salad Bar, which has great salad and dressing recipes, with everything from main dish salads to pasta salads to bean salads. My youngest daughter wanted to
steal this take this to Australia with her but ran out of room. I’ve already had to take a picture of one of her favorite recipes from this book and text it to her. She’s making do with a hot plate, which presents some challenges.
Oh, and as I’m typing this up I realized I forgot to add the toasted sesame seeds. It was still good without them!
Red Cabbage Slaw with Lemon Ginger Dressing
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons raspberry vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Slice all the veg and put them in a bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, then pour over the cabbage mix and toss together.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds.
She suggests you mix in 1-2 cups cooked chicken to make this a main meal or add steamed broccoli florets.
Leave a Reply