I made the Coconut Rice and Beans from The Minimalist Cooks Dinner by Mark Bittman tonight, but the ratios seemed off to me so I adjusted things without even waiting. The recipe in the book calls for 1 and 1/2 cups of rice and I suspect it is supposed to be 1/2 cup. Here’s what I ended up with:
Coconut Rice with Red Beans
- 1 cup rice
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water – or perhaps a bit more
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the beans, coconut milk, water, and beans in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Turn down and cover and cook for 20 minutes, until the rice is done. You may need to add a bit more water.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This went great with the Worcestershire shrimp I made from the same book. It was especially tasty with sauce from the shrimp all mixed in with it.