There are variations of this in many different cuisines.
Try to mix this up at least half an hour before eating so the flavors can blend. You could mix this up in the morning and refrigerate until evening if you have time. But it’s still good even if it only has half an hour to blend.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 a cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- black pepper to taste 1/4 tsp to start?
- chopped mint or dill optional and I usually leave out
- pinch of cayenne optional
- Chop the salt and garlic together, pressing with the flat of the knife to create a paste.
- Mix with the yogurt and other ingredients. Refrigerate until serving.