I’m not sure why these are called “crash hot potatoes” as they’re really more smashed. I saw someone else reference them on their blog, but can’t remember who. Then when I Googled the name, it seems that Ree Drummond got them from an Australian Jill Dupleix.
I could have baked mine longer to get them crisper but the rest of the food was ready.They still got rave reviews. Next time I might try adding some cheese but as we were having cauliflower cheese as well, I figured we were hitting the cheese limit for one meal.
Smashed Red Potatoes (aka Crash Hot Potatoes)
- red or gold potatoes
- olive oil
- rosemary or other herbs
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Simmer the whole unpeeled potatoes in a pot of lightly salted water until they are just done. Drain.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and put the drained potatoes on it.
- Smash each potato with a potato masher to flatten it out.
- Lightly oil the tops of the potatoes, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary to taste.
- Bake at 450 until crisp, about 20-25 minutes.